Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Salamander Week 16

I had my 16 week appointment this morning. It went smoothly and quickly by. I had my blood drawn for the genetic screening and CF Carrier testing. Knowledge is power right? I'm not always so sure. I just worry about a poor result from the screening... What if it is mistake? I hate to open that high risk Pandora's box. But on the other hand, I want to give my baby the ultimate chance at a great life. If this baby is genetically damaged in someway, I'd like to spare it from a painful existence. Not the argument of a right to lifer for sure. I still maintain that a women should have the right of choice. Too many circumstances to make laws around. Keep it simple and let women and families choose what is best for them. Ok, off my soap box now.

Before the blood draw I was weighed - 1 lb up from my 12 week appointment - current weight 146lbs
I had my urine tested - No protein or glucose present
I discussed my lack of weight gain with the Dr. --- Make that the original practice founding Dr... Dr. Mathers Sr. --- He has to be pushing 80, but his hands were steady and he was still assured and knowledgeable. He said that many women gain way too much weight. Back when he was being trained they recommended that women gain about 18 lbs total. I could be happy with that but I won't kill myself if I gain more. I've got quite a bit of time left in this pregnancy.

He did the heart doppler, but it was so quick that I didn't get a chance to record it for Dave. I kind of felt bad, but he understood. He measured my tiny baby bump while I was lying on the exam table. It was kind of cute. He also commended me on my vegetarian diet! Sweet! I really love that this practice is in line with my own thinking. It is so nice to have doctors who value the healthy lifestyle that I've chosen for valid scientific reasons. Especially after the poor reaction that I continued to get from my general care Dr. I was ready to put up a fight and change to a practice in Syracuse if I didn't continue to feel like this was the right fit. This experience will go in the positive column. No real negatives yet. I'm disappointed that Midwife Brenda isn't with the practice any longer, but I can't really knock them for that.

In other baby related news - I had  my first craving last night - Pineapple Juice. I think I would have punched a homeless man for a glass mixed with seltzer. It was very satisfying once it was in hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment